Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Immunity

My big question lately has been, "How do I boost my kids/families immunity?" First of all, dumb question to ask to such a wide variety of people with such varying ideas about health! Second, dumb question to ask when there are such differing opinions (none of which are founded) in the medical community. It is amazing to me that there are so many "hyper" opinions about a topic that is so subjective in it's research. Depending on what article you read, who wrote it, what angle the writer was using, and who was "funding" the article, you get amazingly different opinions on vitamins, nutrients, and other factors that effect or don't effect immunity.

I have read a plethora of information over the last couple of days about immunity and illnesses and what we as the "lay person" can do to protect ourselves from the thousands of strands of viruses and germs that lay in our paths everyday. What have I learned? Nothing. You can exercise too much, or not enough. You can eat too many veggies and not enough protein or not enough veggies and too much protein. Vitamins don't break down in a way that is ultimately helpful or vitamins are the only way for Americans to get enough of the certain nutrients needed to be healthy.

My conclusion. Do the best I can. I have so much to have "mommy guilt" about that this is the last thing that I need to stress and focus on. Whether or not the "Triscuits" that I put on my children's plate for lunch today will cause "Attention Deficit Disorder" or be a good source of wheat for them should not debilitate me. Yes, I gave my children a piece of candy as a reward for being quiet during nap time this afternoon. I don't think they will break out in hives or get the next thing that goes around church because of it.

I do think that I can try to give my children the best foods that I can get them to open their mouths for and offer as many nutritious options for their meals as possible. I can give them opportunity for activity and exercise. I can wash hands, mouths, and behind the ears. I can love my children with all my heart and pray for them daily.

I pray today, Lord, that my family stays healthy.

3 comments:

  1. This is another thing that I think just improves as they get a few years under their belt. I'll pray you guys don't get sick anymore too...you guys have had a hard time :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for more settled days and tummies. And you're right, we can convince ourselves that that "one thing" will prevent/cure/boost whatever and yet God is God and our lives are in His hands. Resting in that (when I remember!) has reminded me that my mommy guilt is my futile attempt to assume I can control their world. So, pass the M&M's and play in the dirt! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article that convinced me that selenium was the key to strong immunity. The best way to get selenium in your diet is to eat one Brazil nut a day. So the boys & I have been eating one each daily. I have no idea if it actually helps us or not. But it makes me feel better & the boys love nuts. :-) Sick kids will make a momma desperate enough to try anything!
    Hope you all stay healthy for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Swagbucks